Tiger Woods showed he’s not going out without a fight 💪

Tiger Woods showed he’s not going out without a fight 💪

Tiger Woods stood on the 18th green of Augusta National on Friday afternoon, having completed the most gruelling 23 holes of golf.

His body would not have experienced anything like that in a long time.

Like many others, Woods was forced to finish his first round on Friday morning, after storms hit Augusta and forced tee times to be pushed back the day before. The weather, though, was worse on the second day. Howling winds burst through Augusta causing carnage. Rory McIlroy’s round took six hours while shots were dropped all over Augusta National. It was brutal.

Woods arguably got the best of it, going out earlier, but the task of walking and playing 23 holes was still an enormous ask of his body. Aside from being 48, he’s had back fusion surgery, ankle fusion surgery, and nearly lost a leg in a 2021 car crash.

READ MORE: Tiger Woods has made his feelings on Max Homa clear after two rounds together at the Masters
READ MORE: Jon Rahm’s Masters frustrations summed up by admission and leaf blowers as Spaniard left red-faced

When he walks it looks mechanical. When he bends over it looks stiff. And his face is one that masks pain, he says, he is forced to deal with every single day.

So to be stood on the 18th green 1-over for the tournament is not just an incredible feat. It’s a borderline miracle. Woods didn’t need to make the putt to make the cut and seal the record, he could have two or three-putted. But for par, Woods would not have wanted to drop another shot. No way.

And so as he lined up his four-footer the only thing that could make the whole thing even more ridiculous was the weather. Three times winds blew sand up out of the green-side bunkers. Three times Woods had to step away from his putt and cover his face. And three times Woods had to compose himself up against this spring farce.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.